Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Summer of Growth

As summer kicked off I was full of anxiety, though I would never want to show it.  I began waking and before I had breakfast feelings of no purpose sat themselves on my heart and mind eating away at the joy of progress I was making.  I had found boredom, but also sweet security knowing  people were rotating so that one person could care for me and another could care for my children. This spoiled lifestyle was coming to an end and I alone would be responsible for myself and the kids while Billy was at work. See, my caregivers were graduating me to independence. I knew it was time, and even looked forward to it a little bit.

My kids were excited to have their mom to themselves.  I was scared that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them.  That their summer would feel boring and they would just fight with each other all day. I had 3 weeks of antibiotics and anti-nausea meds left and the nerve pain in my feet was at an all time high.  My strength and endurance was minimal, though making fast progress through physical therapy. I repeat some of this just to set the stage for my expectations of summer. I should have prepared myself for something different entirely.

God blessed me this summer with quality time enjoying family, friends and especially my children.  No, we couldn't go on bike rides, river raft, hike Colorado mountains, or spend a day at Silver Dollar City yet, but we made fun memories and had plenty of laughs. 

I traveled to Oklahoma to see the Wright family there and share in the celebration of Aunt Gail's life and her entering Heaven's gates.

Alyssa & her cousin Ashton


Isaiah & his Wright cousins: Ashton, Taylor & Ian

Isaiah & I - July 4th
My first trip was to Branson with my mom and dad. I was nervous to be away from home where I was comfortable taking care of ostomies and sleeping with multiple pillows. I had a scare that I forgot my ostomy supplies, but I found them! I had a recovery day at home after this trip, but the awesome news is that I did it! I even did a cave tour!













I hosted, which I LOVE to do! We celebrated Isaiah's Independence day birthday (just a tiny bit more toned down than usual), plus had an overnight visit from Mindy & Greg Linderink.


 
Mindy Mannel Linderink & some of my family





Alyssa & Charlotte at Camp


I had a break - I drove them to their camps and during day camp they stayed with their Aunt Amy's family! Such a special two weeks!
Harry, Isaiah and Luke at Summer Camp
Breck, Isaiah & Luke at Basketball Camp


 I babysat! I decided I could keep up with my 3 year old nephew and had him over for a picnic and sleepover!  Even got to babysit my sweet 1 year old nephew, Caden.  What a gift after months of not even being able to hold him because he was over 10 pounds and I was too weak.



 

 
 
I Played! I took the kids to the creek to wade and fish. We saw several kid movies, went to the Aquatic Center, had sleepovers and playdates, ice cream outings and a backyard campout. Went to two festivals, where Alyssa even got pulled up on stage with the lead singer to "dance a little"!
 
 




By the end of summer I DATED my husband and left the kids behind without any guilt!  It was our 16th wedding anniversary and I planned a surprise historical & tasting tour in Kansas City, requiring 2 miles of walking!  I even did it in heels! Won't do a tour in heals again, even in a great year, but I looked cute for our date!

Lost Valley Trail - Buffalo River
 Labor Day week-end I HIKED! I love the outdoors and especially enjoy hiking through the woods with my family. I admit I was tired and still required some recuperating the next day, but I hiked a 2.3 mile trail to this cave, which I also climbed up into with my husband's help! My heart was happy and feeling blessed! To think we were celebrating that I could walk down my driveway and to the neighbors driveway at the beginning of summer! I was anxious wondering if I could keep up with the kids needs for food and laundry, etc at home! Now I'm hiking...next biking!  If God brings you to it, He WILL get you through it!

Ponca, AR


"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10, NIV
 

" I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2, ESV
 


1 comment:

  1. Reading this post made my day! God is so incredibly good to day by day restore your health. You have made incredible strides. I am so proud of you for tackling this with such a great attitude.

    ReplyDelete